It is common in this field for people to want to be “the next big thing” or “the outlier”. Our true aspirations are supporting women ventures, Black & Brown startups, the people that work the hardest and receive the least.We offer office and communal space for entrepreneurs, freelancers, startups, thought leaders, and anyone who may simply need a change of pace. We have served the community of Newark for 7 years, and we look forward to continuously providing resources to our thriving community. As =SPACE grew and connected more with the people who used our space, we learned more about the pain points that our Space(r)s [=SPACE community members] deal with on a daily basis, both in their career, and within their own minds. With those things in sight, we curate events and experiences like Newark Tech Week, Small Business Week, and Woman In-Novation. These events allow us to collaborate with Mayor Ras J. Baraka, mayor of the largest city in New Jersey, powerhouses like Nathalie Molina Nino [Founder of Brava Investments], Senator Sandra Cunningham, Marley Dias [#1000BlackGirlBooks], and other prolific influencers from all over the U.S. Our partners list is exponentially growing and allows us to format an experience for Space(r)s that is noteworthy and fitting for their personal businesses.
There are 5 ways we provide better opportunities than any coworking space:
- Inclusive Culture: Our community is rich not only in cultural diversity, but also in industry diversity. We have freelance photographers, fitness trainers, lawyers, tech writers, content developers, real-estate specialists, social media influencers, coders, and more – these are the people who make =SPACE what it is.
- Community Support:Although, we are still amidst a pandemic, =SPACE managed to develop its second city-wide week-long conference, Small Business Week. We hosted everything from courses to luncheons, helping 80+ local small businesses build up hard and soft skills to grow their business. We curate events and experiences like Newark Tech Week, Woman In-Novation, and Civic Influencers. These events allow us to collaborate with Mayor Ras J. Baraka, mayor of the largest city in New Jersey, powerhouses like Nathalie Molina Nino [Founder of Brava Investments], Senator Sandra Cunningham, Marley Dias [#1000BlackGirlBooks], and other prolific influencers from all over the U.S.
- Social Network: Last year we hosted over 25 events, with over 1.8K attendees, during a tough time for so many small businesses we were able to create free programming that empowered, educated and provided access to much needed support. Our proof is in our actions. We collaborate with organizations and businesses like NJII, Panasonic, Verizon, NJEDA, LISC and more to build our social capital; and provide our members with access to high-level information on grants, startup funding, and more!
- 1:1 Mentorship: We actively practice cultural equity and diversity through our business policies and practices, including our Ambassadors Program. Our Ambassadors are Newark-based individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to the entrepreneurial and/or creative landscape of our city. Ambassadors represent =SPACE through assisting us with marketing & promotion, hosting events and being a part of SPACE(r) culture. Ambassadors also receive free membership and business mentorship, as a result, choosing ambassadors is in line with our mission. We work with local talents including visual artists, graphic designers, photographers and entrepreneurs in tech, fashion, marketing and more.
- Endless Resources: =SPACE has expanded its facility, with over 19,000 sq.ft. of space. We have formatted our space to host more suites to encourage safe workplace distance while encouraging connection with our common space amenities. We have dedicated ourselves to provide more amenities to our Spacers like FitSPACE, a gym with a personal trainer to help address the increased mental/physical health concerns for the entrepreneurial community at large.